Keys to the Past HER: D1647
Post code: DL12 8XG
Grid ref: NZ106147

Church of St. Mary, Whorlton


St. Mary's Church in Whorlton, County Durham, is now part of the combined parish of Barnard Castle with Whorlton. The Norman chapel which originally stood on this site was demolished c.1848 and replaced by the present building in 1853. The new church reatined the 15th Century font from the medieval church; the font is Grade II listed. 

DL12 8XG

from Geograph (geograph)
St. Mary's Church, Whorlton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Whorlton church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.historicengland...
FONT, ADJACENT TO SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST. MARY - List Entry
- "Font. Probably late-c15, Single sandstone block. Octagonal-plan bowl and stem. Base also octagonal in plan but with alternating long and shorter sides. This font came from the medieval church at ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Font, adjacent to South Porch, St Mary, Whorlton (Whorlton)

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.stmarysbarnardca...
St Mary's Barnard Castle with Whorlton
- Official Website of the parish. "...the Church of England Parish of Barnard Castle with Whorlton, Teesdale, in South West County Durham. The parish is composed of the Churches of St ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES