Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Wetheral Civil Parish > Wetheral Parish, 1848

Wetheral Parish, 1848


WETHERAL (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, chiefly in Cumberland ward, but partly in Eskdale ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Great Corby, Coathill, Cumwhinton, Scotby, and Warwick Bridge, 2,806 inhabitants, of whom 586 are in Wetheral township, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Carlisle. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes through the parish, and is here carried across the river Eden by a bridge, of five semicircular arches, each 80 feet in span; the height of the bridge, from the average summer level of the water, is 99½ feet, the breadth 25, and the whole length 564 feet. There are quarries of freestone and alabaster. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Warwick annexed; net income, £150; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, situated on an elevated piece of ground adjoining the river, was built in the reign of Henry VIII., and a handsome chapel was attached to it, as a burial-place, by Henry Howard, Esq., in 1791; it contains a beautiful monument to Mrs. Howard, executed by Nollekens. At Warwick Bridge is a separate incumbency. A priory of Benedictine monks, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, St. Mary, and St. Constantine, was founded in the parish by Ranulph de Meschines, in 1088, as a cell to the abbey of St. Mary at York; at the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at £128. 5. 3. Of the conventual buildings, the gatehouse still remains; and near the site are three ancient cells, called Wetheral Safeguard, or Constantine's Hermitage, excavated in the rock, at the height of forty feet above the Eden, which flows at the base.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Wetheral Civil Parish Great Corby, Township, 1848 Warwick Bridge Township, 1848 Cumwhinton Coathill Township, 1848 Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine, Wetheral Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Coathill Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Coathill Township, 1848
- COATHILL, a township, in the parish of Wetheral, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S.E.) from Carlisle; containing 253 inhabitants, and comprising, with Cumwhinton, 2,372 ...
Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine, Wetheral
  Co-Curate Page
Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine, Wetheral
Cumwhinton
  Co-Curate Page
Cumwhinton
- CUMWHINTON, a township, in the parish of Wetheral, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 4 miles (S.E. by E.) from Carlisle; containing 339 inhabitants. ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Wetheral Parish
- "Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, comprising four townships: Wetheral, Scotby, Cumwhinton & Cotehill, and Warwick Bridge & Great Corby (each treated separately below). CP enlarged by absorbing Warwick CP 1934. Part ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES