Coathill Township, 1848
COATHILL, a township, in the parish of Wetheral, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S.E.) from Carlisle; containing 253 inhabitants, and comprising, with Cumwhinton, 2,372 acres, of which 61 are common or waste. Here is a quarry of gypsum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.