Topics > Northumberland > Thockrington > Thockrington Parish, 1855

Thockrington Parish, 1855

Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.

THOCKRINGTON parish comprises the townships of Bevington (Little), Carrycoats, Sweethope, and Thockrington, and is bounded by the parishes of Kirwhelpington, Kirkharle, and Chollerton. It is about four miles in length by two miles and a half in breadth and comprises an area of 6,943 acres. Its population in 1801, was 182; in 1811, 158; in 1821, 201; in 1831, 203; in 1841, 193; and in 1851, 173 souls. The land in this parish is chiefly used for grazing purposes.


BAVINGTON (LITTLE) is a township and hamlet in this parish, the property of J.D. Shaftoe Esq. who is also Lord of the Manor. The township contains 1,702 acres of land, and its rateable value is £1,153. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 58; in 1811, 36; in 1821, 78; in 1831, 72; in 1841, 91; and in 1851, 82 souls. The hamlet of Little Bavington is situated 11½ miles N.N.E. of Hexham, on the Alnwick Road, near the source of the Erringburn. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. BAVINGTON HALL is the seat and property of James Deleval Shaftoe Esq. It underwent several improvements and repairs in 1851 and is now a substantial family mansion, adorned on every side by fine plantations. This place has been the seat of the Shaftoes since the reign of Edward I.


James Deleval Shaftoe Esq , The Hall,

Christopher Arthur, gamekeeper

John Hutchinson, shopkeeper

George Stewart, Temperance hotel and shoemaker


James Charlton, Bavington Mount

John Fenwick, Steel Ridge

Robert Patterson, Moss Barns

Launcelot Robson, Cocklaw Walls

Thomas Thornton, Homilton



CARRYCOATS, a township in the above parish, is situated 12 miles north of Hexham. It comprises an area of 1,799 acres, and its rateable value is £919 10s. The population in 1801, was 46; in 1811, 51; in 1821, 50; in 1831, 42; in 1841, 51; and in 1851, 45 souls. The Lord of the Manor and owner of the soil is ---- George, Esq., who resides at Carrycoats Hall, which is a neat stone building, occupying a pleasant situation.


---- George, Esq., Carrycoats Hall


SWEETHOPE is a township in this parish, the property of Sir W.C. Trevelyan, Bart., who is also Lord of the Manor. It contains 1,010 acres, and its rateable value is £303. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 27; in 1811, 32; in 1821, 25; in 1831, 18; in 1841, 9; and in 1851, 10 souls. This township is occupied by William Robson, farmer.


THOCKRINGTON is a township and village, giving name to the parish in which it is situated, and the property of J.D. Shaftoe Esq. who is also the possessor of the manorial rights and privileges. The township comprises an area of 2,432 acres, and its rateable value is £1,225. It contained in 1801, 51; in 1811, 39; in 1821, 48; in 1831, 71; in 1841, 42; and in 1851, 36 inhabitants. The village of Thockerington is situated 10¾ miles north by east of Hexham. The parish church is an ancient stone structure, pleasantly situated on an eminence West of the village. The living,a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry of Northumberland, and Deanery of Bellingham, certified at £10, gross income £60, is in the patronage of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and incumbency of the Rev. Humphrey brown, of Kirk Heaton. The parish register commences in 1715.



George William Browell, Quarry House

William Pickering

Matthew Pigg, North Heugh



Thockrington Little Bavington Sweethope Carrycoats Tindale Ward, 1855 Northumberland Parishes and Townships - 1855


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.