List number: 1279916
List grade: 2*
Tyne & Wear HER: 4777
Grid ref: NZ3955256279
Post code: SR2 7DD
Wikipedia: Stockton Road Uni...

Stockton Road United Reformed Church, Sunderland


Formerly known as the Church of St George with Trinity and St James, on Stockton Road in Sunderland. It originally opened as a Presbyterian church in 1890, built to replace a former chapel on Villiers Street, with much of the funding provided by Robert Appleby Bartram, a local ship owner. The church is modelled upon Crescent Church in Belfast; it's pierced lantern tower is a prominent local landmark. In 2007 the congregation merged with the nearby West Park United Reformed Church (URC), with the West Park church closing in 2014. The Stockton Road URC church is a Grade II* listed building.

Stockton Road United Reformed Church (formerly St George's with Trinity and St James Church (abbreviated to St George's)) is a United Reformed church in the Ashbrooke area of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England.

Originally a Presbyterian church, it was constructed by John Bennie Wilson of Glasgow in 1888-90, to replace a former chapel on Villiers Street. Much of the funding was provided by a local shipowner, (later Sir) Robert Appleby Bartram, who laid the foundation stone on 7 February 1889. The church was constructed of red sandstone from Dumfries and modelled upon Crescent Church, Belfast.

In 2007 the congregation merged with the former West Park United Reformed Church, and from 2014 chose to use the St. George's building and sell the West Park building.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 11/09/2018).
Visit the page: Stockton Road United Reformed Church for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from http://sunderlandurc.org.uk...
Stockton Road United Reformed Church
- "....Stockton Road URC can trace its roots back to the early part of the 18th century and what was known as the “Corn Market Chapel” near High Street East. The ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://commons.wikimedia.o...
St' George's Church (Stockton Road, Sunderland)
- Photo by somaliayaswan, 22 September 2008, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(4777): Sunderland, Church of St George with Trinity and St James
- "This Presbyterian church, now a United Reformed Church, with adjacent hall, and walls and gates attached was built in 1888-90 to the design of John Bennie Wilson of Glasgow. Much ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE WITH TRININTY AND ST JAMES WITH HALL, WALLS AND GATES - Sunderland - List Entry
- "Presbyterian church, now United Reformed church and joined by other congregations, with adjacent hall, and walls and gates attached. 1888-90. By John Bennie Wilson of Glasgow. Much of finance provided ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES