Stockton Road United Reformed Church

  • Description

    "....Stockton Road URC can trace its roots back to the early part of the 18th century and what was known as the “Corn Market Chapel” near High Street East. The current building, formerly St George’s, was dedicated in 1890. Constructed in red Dumfries sandstone, the building is based on the Crescent Church in Belfast, which it closely resembles. Inside, many of the original features remain, including a high quality stone-carved pulpit and fine stained glass windows. Its pierced lantern tower is a well-known local landmark. Stockton Road is an amalgamation of several congregations over the years, the most recent being the combining of St. George’s with West Park URC in 2007....."
  • Owner

    Sunderland and Boldon Partnership - United Reformed Church
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://sunderlandurc.org.uk/stockton-road/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 123 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES