Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Stainton and Streatlam Civil Parish

Stainton and Streatlam Civil Parish


About the Parish

Overview:

Streatlam and Stainton is a civil parish in County Durham, located to the north-east of Barnard Castle.

Main Settlements: Stainton, Stainton Grove, the former Streatlam Estate, the hamlet of Broomielaw and a number of other farms/hamlets.
Population:

476  (2011 Census)

450  (2001 Census)

Area: 11.9 km²
Parish Council: Stainton & Streatlam Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Durham County Council

Historical

Ancient Township:

Stainton with Streatlam Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Gainford Parish  (St Mary)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Poor Law Union:

Teesdale Poor Law Union, formed in 1837.

Teesdale Union Workhouse was located at Barnard Castle. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as 'Public Assistance Institutions' until the National Assistance Act 1948.

District Council:

Barnard Castle Rural District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Teesdale District (County Durham) from 1974 to 2009.

The district council was abolished when County Durham became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Stainton & Streatlam Civil Parish Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in County Durham Stainton Stainton Grove Streatlam Castle (demolished 1959) Streatlam Broomielaw Historic Buildings and Monuments in Stainton and Streatlam Stainton with Streatlam Township, 1848
Stainton
  Co-Curate Page
Stainton
Broomielaw
  Co-Curate Page
Broomielaw
- Overview Map Street View Broomielaw is a hamlet loacted about 2 miles north-west of Barnard Castle in County Durham, within the Civil Parish Stainton and Streatlam. It is notable that ...
Streatlam Castle (demolished 1959)
  Co-Curate Page
Streatlam Castle (demolished 1959)
- Historical Account (1809) About Streatlam Castle Extract from: Francis Grose & Thomas Astle, The Antiquarian Repertory....(1809): Streatlam Castle IS situate in the western part of the county of Durham, within ...
Stainton Grove
  Co-Curate Page
Stainton Grove
- Overview Map Street View Stainton Grove is a village to the north-east of Barnard Castle and a short distance south of Stainton in County Durham. The houses here were built ...
from https://staintonandstreatla...
Stainton & Streatlam Parish Council
- Official Website of Stainton & Streatlam Parish Council

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Streatlam
  Co-Curate Page
Streatlam
- Streatlam in County Durham is an area north-east of Barnard Castle associated with the former Streatlam Estate, which had been owned by the Bowes family. Streatlam Castle was demolished in 1959, but ...
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local History: Streatlam
- "The impact of the First World War on the parish of Streatlam and Stainton is reflected in the memorials that commemorate the actions of those of the parish who went ...

Added by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES