Topics > County Durham > Broomielaw

Broomielaw


Broomielaw is a hamlet loacted about 2 miles north-west of Barnard Castle in County Durham, within the Civil Parish Stainton and Streatlam. It is notable that there was once a railway station here, built as a private halt for Steatlam Castle. The early 18th century farmhouse at Broomielaw is a Grade II listed building. By the gable of the porch of the farmhouse is a pump dated 1822, initialled J.B., probably for John Bowes, the owner of the farm and of Streatlam Estate at that time.[1]

County Durham Stainton and Streatlam Civil Parish Streatlam Castle (demolished 1959) Broomielaw Station
from Geograph (geograph)
House by Broomielaw station

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Streatlam Castle (demolished 1959)
  Co-Curate Page
Streatlam Castle (demolished 1959)
- Historical Account (1809) About Streatlam Castle Extract from: Francis Grose & Thomas Astle, The Antiquarian Repertory....(1809): Streatlam Castle IS situate in the western part of the county of Durham, within ...
from https://historicengland.org...
BROOMIELAW FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AND PUMP
- "Farmhouse with outbuildings and pump attached. Early C18 with early C19 extension and pump dated 1822. Main house coursed squared sandstone, addition sandstone rubble, with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES