Tyne & Wear HER: 4313
Grid ref: NZ21806338

South Benwell Fire Brick Works


South Benwell Fire Brick Works (also known as the E & M Yard) opened in the late 1850's, located by the banks of the River Tyne, near where the Paradise junction of Scotswood Road is now. The brickworks were run by the Carr family, using clay from their Benwell Colliery Charlotte Pit[1]; initially by William Cochran Carr (1815-1889), who owned Benwell Colliery and also had an interest in the Elswick Coal Company. The works were automated after 1894, and later split into two yards, with 27 Newcastle Kilns, from which firebricks were transported by river and rail to a wide range of industries accross Tyneside.
from Flickr (flickr)
BE19234

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
South Benwell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(4313): Benwell, South Benwell Fire Brick Works/The E & M Yard
- "South Benwell Fire Brick Works, also known as the E & M Yard opened after 1858. It was run by the Carr family, using clay from their Benwell Charlotte Colliery, and ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES