Topics > Tees Valley > Middlesbrough > Ormesby > Ormesby Parish, 1848
Ormesby Parish, 1848
ORMESBY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Guisborough, partly in the E., and partly in the W., division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Stockton; containing, with the chapelry of Eston, and the townships of Morton, Normanby, and Upsall, 851 inhabitants, of whom 383 are in Ormesby township. This parish is in the district of Cleveland, and at the mouth of the river Tees, by which it is bounded on the north. The township of Ormesby comprises 2768a. 3r. 29p. of land, chiefly the property of Sir William Henry Pennyman, who is lord of the manor; the surface is boldly diversified, and the soil generally fertile. Ormesby Hall, the seat of Sir William, is a spacious and handsome mansion, beautifully situated on an eminence commanding fine views of the river and the North Sea, and surrounded with a richly-wooded park. About two miles from the village is Cleveland Port, where formerly a very extensive trade in corn, coal, and other articles, was carried on. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Redcar to Stockton, and contains several well-built houses. The living is a vicarage, held with the perpetual curacy of Eston, and valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 6½.; net income of Ormesby, £283, and of Eston £80; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The great tithes of the township of Ormesby have been commuted for £296, and the small for £126; the vicar has a glebe of 2¾ acres. The church, an ancient structure with some interesting details of Norman character, was repaired in 1820 at an expense of £700. There are bequests for distribution among the poor, amounting to £26 per annum. Numerous gold coins of the reigns of Henry VI., VII., and VIII., and Charles I., were dug up while rebuilding the glebe-house in 1838.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.