Morton Township (Ormesby), 1848
MORTON, a township, in the parish of Ormesby, union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N.N.E.) from Stokesley; containing 34 inhabitants. This place was probably called Morton or Moor-town from its position on the skirts of Barnaldby Moor, which lies north-west of the town of Guisborough: at the time of the Norman survey the lands were the property of Robert de Brus. The township is at the southern extremity of the parish, and comprises by computation 990 acres. The tithes have been commuted for £41. 8., payable to the vicar, and £94 to the Archbishop of York.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.