List number: 1355323
Tyne & Wear HER: 166
List grade: 2*
Grid ref: NZ2463370108

North Gosforth Chapel (ruins)


The remains of the medieval chapel in North Gosforth were uncovered when the Melton Park housing estate was built in the 1950s.[1] The earliest documentary reference to a chaplain here was in 1296, though the syle of the builsing suggests it was built in the 12th century. The building is thought to have fallen into ruin in the 17th century, although burials on the site may have continued into the next century. A geophysical survey in 2005 detected a probable ditch forming the forming of the graveyard around the north side of the chapel, and a possible boundary wall to the south.[2] The ruins are Grade II* listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

from Geograph (geograph)
North Gosforth Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Remains of North Gosforth Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
NORTH GOSFORTH CHAPEL - List Entry
- "NORTH GOSFORTH KINGSLEY AVENUE (south side off) 4/59 North Gosforth Chapel G.V. II* Chapel...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/smr...
Tyne and Wear HER(166): North Gosforth Chapel
- "The chapel consisted of nave, c. 45 feet x 23.5 feet, and chancel 21.5 feet x 20 feet+, externally. The nave had at some time been shortened, a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES