Tyne and Wear HER(166): North Gosforth Chapel

  • Description

    "The chapel consisted of nave, c. 45 feet x 23.5 feet, and chancel 21.5 feet x 20 feet+, externally. The nave had at some time been shortened, a new west wall being built some 7 feet east of the original. The nave was entered by a south door, near its west end. The chancel has a north door. The whole now stands some 2-3 courses above a chamfered base course. The evidence for burials consisted of coffins, grave covers, plain and decorated, medieval and 17th century, and 4 skeletons found in the chancel. It has been suggested, on architectural evidence, that the chapel might be 12th century, but the first reference to a chaplain is in 1296...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/smr/166
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 253 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES