Newton Cap Bridge


Newton Cap Bridge is a stone bridge across the River Wear at Bishop Auckland, County Durham. Reputedly it was built in the late 14th century for Bishop Skirlawe who resided at Auckland Castle. Parts of the bridge were rebuilt later, including widening in the 18th century. This single lane bridge, located at the bottom of Newton Cap Bank, carried the busy A689 road until 1995, when the Newton Cap Railway Viaduct was converted to carry the road.
Newton Cap Bridge across the River Wear, leaving Bishop Aukland.
from Geograph (geograph)
Newton Cap Bridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Newton Cap Bridge, Bishop Auckland

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Footbridge attached to Newton Cap Bridge crossing the River Wear

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
NEWTON CAP BRIDGE - List Entry
- "Road bridge. Reputedly built for Bishop Skirlawe late C14, but probably much rebuilt. c1900 widening of road and footpaths on cantilevered girders. Original parapets remain between road and paths. Stone ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Walter Skirlaw (d. 1406)
  Co-Curate Page
Walter Skirlaw (d. 1406)
- Overview About Walter Skirlaw Walter Skirlaw was Bishop of Durham from 1388 until he died on 24th March 1406. Skirlaw was also a diplomat and advisor to King Richard II ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES