List number: 1178857
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NZ0777272072

Market Cross, Stamfordham


The Market Cross (aka "Butter Cross") is located on the western side of the village green in Stamfordham. It is a small square, single-storey building, with a round arch on each side. The Market Cross was erected in 1735 by Sir Edward Swinburne of Capheaton Hall. The Market Cross retains its original 18th century roof timbers.[1] The Market Cross is a Grade II listed building.

from Geograph (geograph)
Market Cross, Stamfordham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Market Cross, Stamfordham Village Green

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Stamfordham Market Cross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Market Cross, Stamfordham Village Green

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE BUTTER CROSS - Stamfordham - List Entry
- "Market cross. 1735. Ashlar and stone slate roof. Small square single-storey building. A single round arch on each side. Alternate courses of stone project slightly to form banded rustication. Alternate ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES