Lunedale Township, 1848
LUNE-DALE, a township, in the parish of RomaldKirk, union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 11 miles (N.W. by W.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 339 inhabitants. This is a large township, including the hamlets of Laith Chapel, Grasholme, Thwing-garth, Birtle, Bow-bank, Carbeck, and Wemergill, and comprising by computation 21,680 acres of land. The greater part is a high tract of open moors, called Lune Forest, extending to the borders of Westmorland. The village is situated on the road from Appleby to Lonton, a short distance westward of the river Lune. At Laith is a chapel of ease to the parochial church. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811, under an inclosure act.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.