Romaldkirk Parish, 1848
ROMALD-KIRK (St. Romald), a parish, in the union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Cotherstone, Holwick, Hunderthwaite, Lartington, Lune, and Mickleton, 2,379 inhabitants, of whom 338 are in Romald-Kirk township, 6 miles (N.W.) from Barnard Castle. This is a very extensive parish, occupying the extreme north-western portion of Yorkshire, bounded on the north-east by the county of Durham, and on the south-west by that of Westmorland. It stretches from the immediate vicinity of Barnard-Castle, along the bank of the Tees, to the source of that river; the district embraces numerous romantic features, and is diversified by lofty acclivities and pleasant streams. The township of Romald-Kirk comprises about 1470 acres of land, mostly cultivated. The village is neat, built round a verdant green, and is a polling-place for the election of the parliamentary representatives of the riding. Cattle-fairs are held on the first Thursday in April and in September. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £58. 14. 2.; net income, £773, with a handsome rectory-house; patron, J. Bowes, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1811. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, with a large square tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains several monuments. There is a chapel at Laith-Kirk. John Parkin, in 1682, bequeathed £300, now producing £20 per annum, for instruction; and in 1698, an hospital for six pensioners was founded by William Hutchinson.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.