Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Bywell Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Bywell Civil Parish

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Bywell Civil Parish


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Bywell Civil Parish, Northumberland, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Notes
Bridge over Clockey Burn 70 Metres North of Bywell Castle Entrance 1370520 II    
Brocks Bushes Farmhouse 1044827 II    
Bywell Bridge over River Tyne 1303849 II 1838 Replaces earlier bridge here.
Bywell Castle Gatehouse 1370558  I C15th Scheduled Monument (1006584)
Bywell Hall 1370556  II* 1766  
Bywell Home Farmhouse (Now Estate Office) with Adjacent Outbuilding to West 1044797 II    
Bywell House 1044791 II    
Church of St Andrew 1044831  I C11th Bywell. C19th alterations by John Dobson.
Church of St James 1044799 II 1857 Newton Hall
Church of St Peter 1044828  I C8th Bywell. Saxon chancel and Roman stone.
Cross Slab 1 Metre East of South Aisle of Church of St Peter 1303806 II    
Engine House and Attached Outbuildings 30 Metres North-West of Shildonhill Farmhouse 1303732 II    
Farmbuildings 30 Metres West of Home Farmhouse 1370521 II    
Farmbuildings to North of Newton Fell Farmhouse 1154612 II    
Farmbuildings to North-East of Town Farmhouse 1044798 II    
Garden Walls 60 Metres North of Styford Hall 1044801 II    
Garden Walls and Railings to South and East of Home Farmhouse 1154580 II    
Gate Piers to Churchyard of Church of St Peter 1154473 II    
Gatepiers at Entrance to Bywell Park, on South Side of Road Junction at NZ 04306190 1044796 II    
Green Headstone 2.5 Metres South of South-East Angle of Nave of Church of St Peter 1044829 II    
Hearse House to West of Church of St Peter 1044830 II    
Joicey Memorial 18 Metres South of Church of St John 1303723 II    
Maxnil Headstone 10 Metres West of South Aisle of Church of St Peter 1154464 II    
Milepost 90 Metres East of Styford Lodge 1370538 II    
Newton Fell Farmhouse 1370522 II    
Old Kilns 30 Metres South-East of Newtonkiln House 1044800 II    
Old Vicarage 1154496 II    
Orangery/Conservatory 40 Metres North-East of Bywell Hall, and Attached Garden Wall 1370557 II C18th  
Pair of Urns Flanking Path 20 Metres South-West of Bywell Hall 1044793 II    
Remains of Castle Curtain Wall and Tower Incorporated in Bywell Castle House 1044795 II    
Roadside Walls with Attached Trough and Hydrant to South of Town Farmhouse 1303718 II    
Shaw House Farmhouse 1154362 II    
Stable Block 30 Metres North-East of Styford Hall 1154646 II    
Stable Range 10 Metres North of Bywell Hall 1044792 II    
Styford Hall 1370523 II c1800  
Sundial in Centre of Walled Garden 60 Metres North-East of Bywell Hall 1044794 II    
Town Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding to East 1154583 II    
Village Cross 1044832 II C13th Bywell
Water Mill at West End of Farmbuildings 80 Metres West of Brocks Bushes Farmhouse 1303823 II    
Yard Wall with Gate Piers to East of Shaw House Farmhouse 1044826 II    
Defended settlement and Romano-British settlement on Shildon Hill 1017729 n/a   Scheduled Monument

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Bywell Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Bywell Castle
- Overview About Bywell Castle Map Street View Bywell Castle was built in the early 15th century for Ralph Neville, the second earl of Westmorland.[1] It was originally built in Bywell ...
Church of St Peter
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Peter
- Overview Map Street View St Peter's Church in Bywell, Northumberland, dates from Anglo Saxon times, probably the 8th century.[1] It originally belonged to the Benedictine monastery of Durham and in ...
Church of St Andrew
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Andrew
- Overview Map Street View  
Bywell Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Bywell Hall
- Overview About Bywell Hall Map   Bywell Hall is a privately owned 18th-century country house situated on the north bank of the River Tyne at Bywell, Northumberland. It is a ...
Orangery, Bywell Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Orangery, Bywell Hall
- Overview Map The Orangery at Bywell Hall was built in the 18th century and is a Grade II listed building.[1]
Bywell Bridge, over the Tyne
  Co-Curate Page
Bywell Bridge, over the Tyne
- Overview Map Street View Bywell bridge over the River Tyne was built 1836-1838, designed by George Basevi. The stone bridge carries the B6309 road over the Tyne, with Bywell on the north ...
Village Cross
  Co-Curate Page
Village Cross
- Overview Map Street View The village Cross in Bywell dates from the 13th century. Having being damaged the structure was altered in the 18th century when a stone ball was ...
Styford Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Styford Hall
- Overview Map Styford Hall is a large country house in Northumberland located by the north banks of the River Tyne, over the river from Riding Mill, and about 2 miles ...
Church of St James, Newton Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St James, Newton Hall

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES