Newton Hall, Stocksfield


NEWTON-HALL, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (E. by N.) from Hexham; containing 95 inhabitants. It adjoins the township of Newton on the north, and is situated not very far from the river Tyne, which runs on the south: the road from Newcastle to Corbridge also passes on the south of the village.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Newton Hall is located some 800 metres to the north east of Newton. The Hall complex once incorporated the remains of Newton Hall Tower, a 13th-century defensive tower belonging to the de Insula family, that was demolished in the 1800s. Newton Hall country house was built for Robert Jobling in 1811, and was modified in 1835 by the architect John Dobson. The estate was later purchased by the Joicey family who owned a number of collieries in County Durham.

St James' Church, formerly a chapel of ease to Bywell St Peter, was rebuilt in 1874 for the politician John Joicey. The church is a grade II listed building. The ecclesiastical parish of Newton Hall St James was formed in 1877, comprising the townships of Newton, Newton Hall and Stelling. In 1874 a village school was built within the estate, which existed until the 1940s when numbers of children had greatly diminished.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 30/11/2019).
Visit the page: Newton, Northumberland for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Old Vicarage Lodge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. James, Newton Hall (3)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Newton High House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Lane near St James's Church, Newton Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Eagle gateposts at entrance to art gallery

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Newton Hall shrunken medieval village
- "There appears to have been a settlement at Newton Hall since the 13th century, although at this date it may only have been a demesne farm. The 1296 Lay Subsidy ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Mowden Hall
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Newton Hall Tower
- "The remains of a medieval tower stand at Newton Hall. The ruins were described in the 1950s as 10m by 15m with a maximum height of 2m. At the beginning ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES