Kyloe Parish, 1848
KYLOE, a parish, in the union of Berwick-upon-Tweed, in Islandshire, N. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N.) from Belford; containing, with the townships of Beal with Lowlin, Berrington, Buckton, and Fenwick, 1,023 inhabitants, of whom 117 are in the township of Kyloe. This parish, which is on the road from London to Edinburgh, comprises by measurement 8306 acres. Coal is abundant, and two mines are at present in operation; there are also quarries of limestone and whinstone, which are used respectively for burning into lime and for building and road-making. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £138; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham; the glebe comprises 227 acres, of which 187 are moorland, situated at some distance. The tithes have been commuted for £154. The church, rebuilt in 1792, stands on the summit of a hill, on the north side of the village, and commands an extensive view, from Berwick bay to Holy Island and the Farn Islands.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.