Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Rothbury Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Rothbury

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Rothbury


This page includes listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Rothbury Civil Parish, Northumberland, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. As well as town of Rothbury, the parish also includes some buildings on the west side of the Cragside estate, the histories of these are closely intertwined. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Note
Cragside (Gardens, pleasure grounds, parkland) 1001046  I 1863

Listed Park and Garden. Parts in Rothbury, Cartington & Brinkburn parishes.

1 and 2, Church Street 1031334 II C19th  
1, Market Place 1371124 II C19th  
2, Market Place 1203289 II C18th  
4, Market Place 1281762 II C19th  
5, Market Place 1041948 II C18th  
Addycombe Cottages 1371116 II 1873 13-19, Addycombe Gardens
Addycombe Cottages with Attached Walls and Outbuildings 1041930  II* 1873 1-12, Addycombe Gardens
Alexandra House 1041941 II C18th High Street
Armstrong Cottages 1281765 II 1896 Almshouses built by Lord Armstrong
Bell Headstone 21 Metres South East of Porch of Church of All Saints 1041935 II 1743  
Bridge House 1371118 II c.1790  
Bridge Street House 1041934 II C19th  
Bridge Way 1041933 II C18th  
Chimney on Hilltop West of B6341, 420 Metres North West of Cragside Park House 1041940 II C19th  
Chimney on West Side of B6341, 100 Metres North North West of Cragside Park House 1371122 II C19th  
Church of All Saints 1371119  II* C13th  
Clock Tower 110 Metres North East of Cragside Park House 1354750  II* 1864 Cragside
Conservatory and Stables to North East of Cragside Park House 1371121 II C19th  
Conway House (Premises of Rg Bolam and Son) 1041942 II 1876  
Cragside Park House 1041937 II 1864 Cragside
Doctors Surgery 1041947 II C18th 3, Market Place
Eleanor Headstone 17 Metres South of Porch of Church of All Saints 1031330 II 1755  
Farley House 1281752 II 1722  
Fernery to North East of Conservatory 1041938 II 1722  
Former Congregational Church, Now Church Hall 1203271 II 1842  
Front Wall and Gateway to Armstrong Cottages 1371125 II 1896  
Highfield and Adjacent Cottage to East 1041946 II C18th  
House Belonging to Mrs Armstrong 1041943 II C18th Pair of houses, formerly the Sun Inn
Knocklaw and Adjacent Cottage to East 1371117 II C18th  
Lloyds Bank 1355025 II c.1900 High Street
Monument to First Lord Armstrong at South West of Detached Graveyard 1371120 II 1900  
Monument to Walter Mavin at South East of Detached Graveyard 1041936 II 1900  
Ogle House 1041944 II C18th  
Orchard Guest House 1041945 II c.1800  
Outbuilding Range to North of Westhills Farmhouse 1371142 II C18th  
Pant 10 Metres West of Clock Tower 1041939 II C19th  
Pill Box at NU059015 1052196 II 1940  
Premises Occupied by WG Mackay Limited 1371123 II 1841 Haw Hill. Former school.
Premises of T Rogerson and Sons 1025302 II C18th High Street
Purvis Headstone 16 Metres East of Church of All Saints 1376898 II 1786  
Roadside Wall to West and North of Cragside Park House 1025308 II C19th  
Rose Arbour and Terrace Wall to East of Cragside Park House 1354738 II C19th  
Rothbury Bridge 1041932 II 1460 Extensive repairs following flood damage in 2012. Scheduled Monument (1006575)
Rothbury Cross 1025321 II 1902  
Rothbury Motors Garage 1041949 II 1913 Now the Old Motor House.
Rothbury War Memorial 1408998 II 1921  
Shelter Sheds and Granary 80 Metres North East of Westhills Farmhouse 1281744 II C18th  
Stone bridge, across the Debdon Burn 220 metres south-west of Cragside 1371052 II C19th Cragside
Sunshine Recorder to South East of Conservatory at Cragside Park House 1025879 II C19th  
The Iron Bridge Across the Debdon Burn 80 Metres North West of Cragside 1042033  II* 1870s Cragside
The Old Mill with Attached Wall to North West (Thrum Mill) 1041931 II C18th Watermill, restored 2013.
Turks Head Inn 1203235 II C18th Largely rebuilt in 1874 after fire
West End House 1203255 II C18th High Street
Cairn 900m north-east of Old Rothbury hillfort 1008757 n/a Bronze Age Scheduled Monument
Standing stone 550m north-east of Old Rothbury hillfort 1008698 n/a Late Neolithic Scheduled Monument
Old Rothbury multivallate hillfort and cairnfield 1011616 n/a Prehistoric Scheduled Monument
Cairn 210m north-east of Westhills Farm 1011286 n/a Bronze Age Scheduled Monument
West Hills multivallate hillfort 1011291 n/a Iron Age Scheduled Monument

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Church of All Saints
  Co-Curate Page
Church of All Saints
- Overview Map Street View Inside All Saints is the parish church of Rothbury. The current church building dates from the 13th century, with restoration in 1850. However, it is a ...
Former Congregational Church
  Co-Curate Page
Former Congregational Church
Market Cross
  Co-Curate Page
Market Cross
- Erected in 1902, on the site of an ancient market cross in Rothbury.
Rothbury War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
Rothbury War Memorial
- Overview Map Street View The War Memorial and drinking fountain on Front Street in Rothbury was unveiled on the 23rd January 1921[1] by William Watson-Armstrong, 2nd Lord Armstrong (1892–1972). The ...
Rothbury Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Rothbury Bridge
- Overview Map The road bridge over the River Coquet at Rothbury was originally built in 1460. The bridge is Grade II listed. The bridge was badly damaged during storms and ...
Clock Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Clock Tower
- The clock tower of 1864 was the original pay office for the Cragside Estate. The clock mechanism is thought to have been designed by Lord Armstrong himself.[1] The clock tower ...
Garden Cottage
  Co-Curate Page
Garden Cottage
Iron Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Iron Bridge
- The iron footbridge over Debdon Burn at Cragside was manufactured in 1870s at Lord Armstrong's Elswick Works. The footbridge is Grade II* listed.[1] The footbridge was closed to the public ...
Armstrong Cottages
  Co-Curate Page
Armstrong Cottages
- Overview Map Street View Twelve almshouses, located off Town Foot in Rothbury, dated 1896. With a plaque inscribed "Erected by WILLIAM GEORGE BARON ARMSTRONG of Cragside in Memory of ANNE ...
The Turks Head
  Co-Curate Page
The Turks Head
- Overview Map Street View The Turks Head is located on the High Street in Rothbury. It was built in the c.17th century as a coaching inn. Parts of the inn ...
Old Motor House (Rothbury Garage)
  Co-Curate Page
Old Motor House (Rothbury Garage)
- Overview Map Street View Rothbury Garage (now 'The Old Motor House') is located on Town Foot in Rothbury. It is a rare surviving, and relatively unaltered, pre-First World War garage. ...
Addycombe Cottages
  Co-Curate Page
Addycombe Cottages
- Overview Map Street View Addycombe Cottages are located on Addycombe Gardens in Rothbury. The houses were built in 1873 by Norman Shaw for Lord Armstrong. They were built as cottages ...
Stone Footbridge over Debdon Burn
  Co-Curate Page
Stone Footbridge over Debdon Burn
- This stone humped bridge crosses the Debdon Burn on the Cragside estate, south of the Iron Bridge. It was built in the late 19th century for Lord Armstrong. It is ...
Thrum Mill
  Co-Curate Page
Thrum Mill
- Overview Map Thrum Mill is a hamlet on the north banks of the River Coquet, just west of Rothbury. The water mill here dates from the 18th century, probably on ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES