Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Greenhead Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Greenhead Civil Parish

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Greenhead Civil Parish


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Greenhead Civil Parish, Northumberland, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Notes
2 Storey Farmbuilding and Flanking Ranges to Rear of Glenwhelt 1045266 II    
Allolee Farmhouse 1045262 II    
Balustraded Garden Wall and Flight of Steps 35 Metres South East of Blenkinsopp Hall 1045260 II    
Barn and Workshop Adjoining Glenwhelt Cottage 1155972 II    
Blenkinsopp Castle 1370313 II C14th House incorporating fragments of Medieval tower.
Blenkinsopp Hall 1370312 II    
Burnside Cottage 1045261 II    
Church of St Cuthbert 1045267 II 1826 Greenhead
Glenwhelt and Glenwhelt Cottage 1045265 II 1757  
Great Chesters Farmhouse 1045263 II    
Greenhead Memorial Cross 1437147 II 1920 Greenhead. War memorial
Hadrians Wall, Milecastles and Turrets 1155916  I Roman Including milecastles 43, 44, 45 and 46; 
Lime Kiln 150 Metres East of Todholes 1303143 II    
Lime Kiln 450 Metres South West of Allolee Farmhouse 1155939 II    
Low Old Shield Farmhouse 1303083 II    
Low Town 1303081 II    
Memorial Drinking Fountain 20 Metres North of Church of St Cuthbert 1156001 II 1865 Greenhead
Road Bridge 25 Metres South-West of Glenwhelt 1045264 II    
Stable Block 30 Metres North-West of Blenkinsopp Hall 1155794 II    
Station House 1303087 II 1836 Former station master's house on Greendale Railway
Walltown Farmhouse 1045268 II    
Hadrian's Wall, vallum, section of the Stanegate Roman road and a Roman temporary camp between the B6318 road and Poltross Burn in wall miles 46 and 47 1010993 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Blenkinsopp Castle (uninhabited parts) 1006425 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Chesters Pike Roman temporary camp 1010944 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Hadrian's Wall between Walltown Quarry East and Walltown Quarry West in wall mile 45 1010977 n/a   Scheduled Monument
The vallum between Cockmount Hill and Walltown Quarry West in wall miles 43, 44 and 45 1010978 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Carvoran Roman fort and Hadrian's Wall and vallum between the unclassified road to Old Shield and the field boundary west of the fort in wall miles 45 and 46 1010991 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Burnhead Roman temporary camp 1015912 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Hadrian's Wall between the track to Cockmount Hill and Walltown Quarry East in wall miles 43, 44 and 45 1017535 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Roman aqueduct to Great Chesters from the Cawburn 1003788 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Markham Cottage Roman temporary camps 1 and 2, a section of the Stanegate Roman road, a length of Roman road and two Roman cemeteries 1010933 n/a   Scheduled Monument
The section of Stanegate Roman road from Fell End Roman temporary camp to the track to Old Shield, and the Roman cemetery adjacent to Carvoran Roman fort 1010956 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Great Chesters Roman fort and Hadrian's Wall between the Caw Burn and the track to Cockmount Hill farm in wall miles 42 and 43 1010976 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Hadrian's Wall and vallum between the field boundary west of Carvoran Roman fort and the west side of the B6318 road in wall mile 46 1010992 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Hadrian's Wall and vallum between the road to Caw Gap and the Caw Burn in wall miles 41 and 42 1010975 n/a   Scheduled Monument

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Church of St Cuthbert
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Cuthbert
Memorial Drinking Fountain
  Co-Curate Page
Memorial Drinking Fountain
- The drinking fountain is near St Cuthbert's Church in Greenhead. It was erected in memory of John Blenkinsop Coulson in 1865 by his widow and family. The memorial is Grade ...
Blenkinsopp Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Blenkinsopp Castle
- Overview About Blenkinsopp Castle Map   Blenkinsopp Castle is a fire-damaged, partly demolished 19th-century country mansion, incorporating the ruinous remains of a 14th-century tower house, which is located above the ...
Glenwhelt House & Cottage
  Co-Curate Page
Glenwhelt House & Cottage
- Overview Map Street View Glenwhelt house and cottage are located on Glenwhelt Bank to the east of Greenhead on the B6318 road after it crosses Tipalt Burn. The house is dated ...
Greenhead War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
Greenhead War Memorial
Former Station
  Co-Curate Page
Former Station
- Overview Map Street View The former station-master's house, now private dwelling, was built in c.1836 for the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway Co. It is a Grade II listed building. Greendale ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES