Note: the spelling on OS maps is Hawksdale, but older spellings are Hawkesdale.
HAWKESDALE, a township, in the parish of Dalston, union of Carlisle, ward, and E. division of the county, of Cumberland, 6¼ miles (S.S.W.) from the city of Carlisle; containing 411 inhabitants.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
HAWKESDALE, a township in Dalston parish, Cumberland; near the river Caldew, 6½ miles SSW of Carlisle. Real property, £4, 668. Pop., 336. Houses, 82. Rose Castle here is the residence of the Bishop of Carlisle; and Hawkesdale Hall belonged to Nicholson, the antiquary, and passed to the Wattses.