Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Dalston Civil Parish

Dalston Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Cumbria County Council.

About the Parish

Main Settlements: Dalston (village) and several hamlets, including:  Buckabank, Cardew, Cardewlees, Cumdivock, Gaitsgill, Hawksdale, Lakerigg, Lingey, Low Mill, Orton Grange, Raughton Head, Stockdalewath, Unthank
Population:

2,590  (2011 Census)

2,643  (2001 Census)

Area: 48.2 km2
Parish Council: Dalston Parish Council
District Council: Carlisle City Council
County Council: Cumbria County Council

Historical

Ancient Parish:

Dalston Parish  (St. Michael)

Composed of:

Buckabank Township

Cumdivock Township

Dalston Township

Hawksdale Township

Raughton with Gaitsgill Township

Highhead Chapelry

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

East (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Carlisle Poor Law Union, formed in 1838 (replacing an earlier Union).

The main Carlisle Union Workhouse was located on Fusehill Street in Carlisle, built in 1863. St Cuthbert's workhouse at Harraby Hill was used to accomodate children. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

Cumberland, until 1974, then:

Cumbria, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972. The new county absorbed Cumberland and Westmorland, and added some parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.

District Council:

Carlisle Rural District (1894 - 1934)

Border Rural District (1934 - 1974). Created in 1934, this combined the old rural districts of Longtown, Brampton, Carlisle, and a part of Penrith Rural District. 

City of Carlisle (1974 - )  Created by the Local Government Act 1972. 

See also:  Historic Buildings and Monuments in Dalston Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Cumbria Buckabank Hawksdale Raughton Head Dalston Dalston Parish, 1848 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Dalston Civil Parish
from https://www.dalston.org.uk/
Dalston Parish Council
- "Dalston parish is one of the larger ones in Cumbria with a population of 2590 (2011 census results) and covers a geographical area of about 11,900 acres (4,822 ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
Dalston
  Co-Curate Page
Dalston
- Overview About Dalston Map Street View Dalston is a village in the City of Carlisle district of Cumbria, located by the River Caldew and about 4 miles south-west of the ...
Buckabank
  Co-Curate Page
Buckabank
- BUCKHOW-BANK, a township, in the parish of Dalston, union of Carlisle, ward, and E. division of the county, of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Carlisle; containing 636 inhabitants. ...
Raughton Head
  Co-Curate Page
Raughton Head
- Overview About Raughton Head Map Street View Raughton Head is a hamlet in Cumbria, located about 3 miles south of Dalston and 6 miles south of the centre of Carlisle. ...
Hawksdale
  Co-Curate Page
Hawksdale
- Overview Map Street View Hawksdale is a distributed hamlet in the City of Carlisle district of Cumbria, located by the River Caldew and about 1½ miles south of the village ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES