Topics > Cumbria > Hawksdale > Hawksdale Hall

Hawksdale Hall


Hawksdale Hall is a large country house in Hawksdale which dates from the late 17th century; it was extended and inscribed over rear entrance "1704 J. & M.N." (Nicholson).[1] Hawksdale Hall is a Grade II* listed building on the National Heritage List for England.

Known as Hawkesdale Low House in 1694 when John Nicholson, brother of the Bishop of Carlisle, was the owner. His son Joseph, resident in the house until his death, was joint author with Dr Richard Burn of a History of Westmorland and Cumberland published in 1777.

Extract from Historic England listing 'Hawkesdale Hall', id: 1392916
Hawksdale Grade II* Listed Private Residence Historic Buildings and Monuments in Dalston Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
Hawksdale Hall near Bridge End, Cumbria

Pinned by Peter Smith
from https://historicengland.org...
HAWKESDALE HALL - Dalston - List Entry
- "House. Late C17 with addition dated and inscribed over rear entrance 1704 J. & M.N. (Nicholson). Painted rendered walls,with V-jointed quoins and heavily moulded cornice,on chamfered painted plinth ...

Added by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES