Topics > County Durham > Gilmonby

Gilmonby


Gilmonby is a hamlet on the south banks of the River Greta, located a short distance from Bowes in County Durham. Gilmonby Bridge to the north of the hamlet dates from the early 18th Century and is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England. Gilmonby Hall was demolished in c.1945; the hall had been requisitioned by the military during the Second World War. In the past Gilmonby (note the different spelling used below) was a township within the Parish of Bowes in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Today it forms part of the Civil Parish of Gilmonby.

GILLMONBY, a township, in the parish of Bowes, union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 5 miles (S.W. by W.) from Barnard Castle; containing 87 inhabitants. It is part of the manor of Bowes, is on the south side of the river Greta, and comprises by computation 1,800 acres, of which about 1,200 are open moorland: the village is pleasantly situated opposite the village of Bowes. The Hall is now a farmhouse.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Gilmonby is a village in the Pennines in County Durham, England. it is situated a short distance to the south of Bowes, in the vicinity of Barnard Castle. The population taken at the 2011 Census was less than 100. Information is kept in the Bowes parish details. It is traditionally located in the North Riding of Yorkshire but along with the rest of the former Startforth Rural District it was transferred to County Durham for administrative and ceremonial purposes on 1 April 1974, under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 09/01/2021).
Visit the page: Gilmonby for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

County Durham Parts of Yorkshire now in County Durham, Cumbria, and Tees Valley Bowes Parish, 1848 Gilmonby Civil Parish
from http://www.lostheritage.org...
GILMONBY HALL
- Demolished c.1945

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
gilmonby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE GROVE - Gilmonby - List Entry
- "House. Circa 1840. Squared sandstone with rubble returns and rear. Stone- flagged roof and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with flush quoins. 2 steps to central replaced 6-panel ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
GILMONBY BRIDGE - Gilmonby / Bowes - List Entry
- "Road bridge across the River Greta. Probably early C18 with C19 abutments; roadway widened and parapet rebuilt in late C20. Dressed and squared sandstone....This bridge straddles the parishes of ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES