Fishburn Colliery (1910-1973)
Fishburn Colliery was opened in 1910 and was owned by Henry Stobart & Co. Ltd., until nationalisation in 1947. At it's peak, in terms of employment, there were 1,522 people working at the colliery in 1935 (1,219 working below gound and 303 working on the surface). In the early 1950s a coking plant was built next to the colliery. Fishburn Colliery closed on the 30th of November 1973.