Ellingham Parish, 1855
Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.
ELLINGHAM is a parish comprising the townships of Charlton North, Charlton South, Chathill, Doxford, Ellingham, and Preston, whose united area is 9,124 acres. It is bounded on the north by Bambrough parish, on the west and south. by Eglingham parish and Coquetdale Ward, and on the east by Embleton. It is about five and a half miles long by five miles broad, and its population in 1801, was 749; in 1811, 691; in 1821, 801; in 1831, 953; in 1841, 861; and in 1851, 936 souls. Coal and lime are abundant in this parish.
CHARLTON (NORTH) is a township and village containing 2,731 acres, the property of John Kay, Esq., of Edinburgh. In 1801 this township contained 219; in 1811, 178; in 1821, 230; in 1831, 244; in 1841, 238; and in 1851, 239 inhabitants. Rateable value £2,448 10s. 0d. THE VILLAGE of North Charlton is situated six miles north by west of Alnwick. CHARLTON HALL is the residence of William Spours, Esq.
DIRECTORY. J. Clarke, farmer; John Hall, stonemason; James Hills, farmer; Robert Hindhaugh, miller and farmer; Joseph Lackenby, shoemaker; Thomas Laidlaw, farmer; Alexander Reed, shopkeeper; Jane Rochester, innkeeper; Alexander Smith, tailor; William Spours, Esq., Charlton Hall; and Robert Taylor, blacksmith.
CHARLTON (SOUTH) is a township and village containing 1,866 acres, of which the rateable value is £1,500. The Duke of Northumberland is owner of the township and lord of the manor. Its population in 1801, was 166; in 1811, 139; in 1821, 170; in 1831, 187; in 1841, 188; and in 1851, 175 souls. THE VILLAGE of South Charlton is situated five miles north by west of Alnwick.
DIRECTORY. Thomas Bowden, blacksmith; George Fawcus, farmer, Brockley Hall; John Fawcus, farmer; William Nicholson, joiner; Robert Renner, farmer, Charlton Mires; and James Thompson, shopkeeper, Charlton Mires.
CHATHILL is a township in the above mentioned parish, situated eight and a half miles north by east of Alnwick. It contains 349 acres, the property of Sir Edward Haggerstone, Bart. Ellingham, and the rateable value is £830. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 39; in 1811, 37; in 1821, 27; in 1831, 30; in 1841, 18; and in 1851, 47 souls. Here is a station on the York, Newcastle, and Berwick Railway.
DIRECTORY. John Bolam, farmer; and Peter Wennin, station master.
DOXFORD is a township in Ellingham parish, about seven miles north of Alnwick, containing 612 acres. Its population in 1801, was 49; in 1811, 56; in 1821, 54; in 1831, 79; in 1841, 56; and in 1851, 75 souls.
ELLINGHAM, a township and village in the parish of the same name, contains 3,109 acres, the rateable value of which is £2,182 10s. It is the property of Sir Edward Haggerstone, Bart. Ellingham, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 228; in 1811, 221; in 1821, 257; in 1831, 328; in 1841, 270; and in 1851, 313 souls. The manor of Ellingham, was formerly held by the Gaugy family, from whom it passed, in the reign of Edward I., to the Cliffords. Sir Allan de Heton, held it in the year 1378; and it afterwards became the property <>f the Duke of Northumberland, but on the confiscation of his estates, in 1461, it was given to the brother of Edward lV., at that time govenor of Ireland.
THE VILLAGE of Ellingham is about eight miles north of Alnwick. THE PARISH CHURCH, dedicated to St. Maurice, is situated at a short distance from the village, and was founded by Sir Ralph de Gaugy in the time of Hugh Pudsey, Bishop of Durham. The parish register commences in 1695. The living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne and deanery of Bambrough, is valued in the Liber Regis at £6 5s. 5d.; gross income £564; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. Rev. Charles Perigal, M.A., vicar, Rev. Edward Browrigg, M.A., curate. ELLINGHAM HALL, a neat mansion in a low and sheltered situation, on the banks of the Tuggall rivulet, is the residence of Sir Edward Haggerstone, Bart. There is a neat Catholic Chapel attached to the Hall, Rev. George Meynell, priest.
TYNELY is a hamlet in this township, one mile south of Ellingham. A FREE SCHOOL was erected here in 1821.
DIRECTORY. Rev. Charles Perrigal, Rev. Edward Brownrigg, curate, Rev. George Meynell (Catholic); Sir Edward Haggerstone, Bart.; David Colville, schoolmaster and postmaster; William and John Bone, farmers; Robert Calder, farmer, Tynely; William Colville, innkeeper; Andrew Dixon, farmer; Frances Gibson, innkeeper, Brownside; John Jackson, farmer, Windylaw; and Isabella Jobson, shopkeeper.
PRESTON is a township eight miles north by east of Alnwick, containing 457 acres of land, the property of Miss Frances Isabella Craster, and the rateable value of which is £651. Its population in 1801, was 50; in 1811, 59; in 1821, 63; in 1831, 85; in 1841, 91; and in 1851, 87 souls. PRESTON TOWER, the residence of Miss F. I. Craster, stands on a fine eminence, one mile south-east of Ellingham.
DIRECTORY. Miss Frances Isabella Craster, Preston Tower; Andrew Cumming, blacksmith; Eleanor Elliott, shopkeeper; William Elliott, joiner and cartwright; Edward Wilkin, gardener; and Thomas Forster, farmer.