Preston is a village in Northumberland, located about 7 miles north of Alnwick and 1 mile south of Chathill. It is located by the Long Nanny (river). A settlement was first documented here in 1242. Preston Tower here dates from the 14th century. Today, Preston is part of the Civil Parish of Ellingham.
PRESTON, a township, in the parish of Ellingham
, union of Belford, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8½ miles (N.) from Alnwick; containing 91 inhabitants. Here is a good residence, standing pleasantly upon an eminence about a mile south-east from Ellingham. An ancient lofty tower, near the west end of the Hall, adds greatly to its appearance. The vicarial tithes of the township have been commuted for £31; and the appropriate tithes for £77.11.8., payable to the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.