Earsdon Parish, 1848
EARSDON (St. Alban), a parish, in the union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 9,429 inhabitants, of whom 683 are in the township of Earsdon, 8 miles (N.E.) from Newcastle-on-Tyne. This parish, which is situated in a district abounding with excellent coal and freestone, consists of the townships of Backworth, South Blyth with Newsham, Burradon, Earsdon, Hartley, Holywell, Seaton-Delaval, and Sighill; and comprises about 9,540 acres of good arable and pasture land. The village, seated upon a rocky eminence affording fine sea views, is pleasant and well built. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Proprietors of land; net income, £119; impropriators, the Duke of Northumberland and others. The tithes of the township of Earsdon have been commuted for £183. The church, rebuilt in 1836 at a cost of £2000, is a neat structure in the English style, with a tower surmounted by pinnacles, and contains 600 sittings, of which 200 are free; the site and a handsome donation were given by the late Duke of Northumberland. There are chapels at South Blyth and Seaton-Delaval, and a church district formed by the Ecclesiastical Commission at Sighill.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.