Topics > Northumberland > Old Hartley > Hartley Township, Earsdon, 1848
Hartley Township, Earsdon, 1848
HARTLEY, a township, in the parish of Earsdon, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (N.) from North Shields; containing 1,911 inhabitants, chiefly employed in collieries, and of whom about 1,000 are in the village. The manor was held by knight's service of the Gaugy barony, but in the 10th year of Elizabeth was the sole property of Sir John Delaval. The township comprises 1543a. 1r. 36p., and is now the property of Lord Hastings. The Presbyterians have a meeting-house here; and there are also places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, the latter erected in 1839. A chapel dedicated to St. Mary, and a hermitage, stood on Bates' Island, opposite to the village of Hartley.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.