Burradon Township, 1848
BRIERDEAN, or Burradon, a township, in the parish of Earsdon, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¾ miles (N.N.E.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 97 inhabitants. It comprises an area of 515 acres, and contains quarries of excellent freestone, and an extensive colliery opened some years ago by Lord Ravensworth and partners: the whole township belongs to the Ogle family, of Causey Park, near Morpeth. Here are the ruins of an ancient castle, of great interest to antiquaries, and very similar in appearance to Loch Leven Castle in Scotland, where Queen Mary was confined.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.