Description"The Parish Church of Kirkby Stephen is built on the site on an old Saxon church and contains many ancient relics. The entrance to the church is from the Market Square through these handsome Cloisters, The Church is built of soft red sandstone. The earliest stone church dates from about 1170, part of which can still be seen with the most worn stones. This was replaced in about 1220 and there has been continuous improvements through the centuries. It was originally a cruciform church with a central tower which was replaced in the 16th century by the present bell tower on the end after the central tower had collapsed for a second time. The church is aGrade II* listed building http://www.kirkby-stephen.com/a-short-history-of-kirkby-stephen.html - a history of Kirkby Stephen http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-72978-church-of-st-stephen-kirkby-stephen - British listed buildings" Photo by David Dixon, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2484177
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Viewed: 45 times
Picture Taken: 2011-06-24