Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Whorlton Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Whorlton

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Whorlton


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Whorlton Civil Parish, County Durham, from the the National Heritage List for England[1] and non-designated local heritage assets from Whorlton Village Neighbourhood Plan[2]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Note
1-3, Grange Cottages 1310804 II    
1-7, Grange Terrace 1159945 II    
Byre Attached to Right of Humbleton Farmhouse 1121095 II    
Dial House and Outbuildings Attached to Left and Right 1159918 II    
Farmbuildings, 15 Metres West of East Whorley Hill Farmhouse 1121091 II    
Font, Adjacent to South Porch of Church of St. Mary 1121093 II    
Humbleton Farmhouse 1121094 II    
Lilac Cottage 1323038 II    
Milestone, 40 Metres West of West Whorley Hill Farmhouse 1323037 II    
Milestone, 50 Metres North of Arlaw Banks 1121092 II    
Sledwich Hall 1160010 II C16th  
The Bridge Inn 1159961 II C19th Now the Fernaville's Rest.
The Conifers 1159975 II    
Toll House at North-West End of Whorlton Bridge 1323040 II 1830  
Whorlton Suspension Bridge, over the River Tees 1160013  II* 1831 By John & Benjamin Green.
Whorlton Croft 1323039 II    
Whorlton Church of St Mary - Local    
Stone walls, hedges and gates not within curtilage of a listed building  - Local    
Village pump and fountain - Local    
Cherished views  - Local    
Phone box - Local    
Ferryman’s cottage (ruins) - Local    
Stone bridge over Whorlton Beck - Local    

[1] Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries. Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

[2] Whorlton Village Neighbourhood Plan, Whorlton & Westwick Parish Council, May 2017.

Whorlton Civil Parish Whorlton Suspension Bridge Sledwhich Hall Toll House, Whorlton Bridge Fernaville's Rest, Whorlton
Whorlton Suspension Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Whorlton Suspension Bridge
- Overview Map Street View The toll bridge over the River Tees at Whorlton, County Durham, was opened in 1831. It was designed by John and Benjamin Green of Newcastle, who ...
Toll House, Whorlton Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Toll House, Whorlton Bridge
- Overview Map Street View The former Toll House at the North end of Whorlton Suspension Bridge was built c.1830 and is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.
Fernaville's Rest, Whorlton
  Co-Curate Page
Fernaville's Rest, Whorlton
- Overview Map Street View The Fernaville's Rest (formerly known as the Bridge Inn) at Whorlton, County Durham, dates from the early 19th Centrury. The pub is Grade II listed on ...
  Co-Curate Page
Sledwhich Hall
- Sledwich Hall is a large manor house located about half a mile west of Whorlton in County Durham. The Hall dates from the late 16th century, with restoration work done ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES