Topics > Cumbria > Appleby-in-Westmorland > Church of St Lawrence

Church of St Lawrence


St Lawrence's Church, located off Boroughgate in Appleby-in-Westmorland dates from the 12th century. The lower section of the church tower dates from c.1150, with the south porch added in the 13th century, with the much of rest of the building from the 14th and 15th centuries. The church was restored and the chancel replaced in 1655 by Lady Anne Clifford. There were later restorations of the church in the 1860s, and in 1960. The church is Grade I listed on the National Heritage List for England.

St Lawrence's Church is in Boroughgate, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Appleby, the archdeaconry of Carlisle, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of six local churches to form the benefice of Heart of Eden. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.

History

The lower part of the tower dates from about 1150. The south porch is from the 13th century, and the body of the church dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. In 1655 Lady Anne Clifford restored the church, and rebuilt the north chapel and the chancel. Ceilings were added by Christopher Hodgson in 1830–31. There were further restorations in 1861–62, and in 1960.

Architecture

Exterior

The church is constructed in stone with lead roofs. Its plan consists of a nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, a chancel, a northeast chapel, a southwest porch, and a west tower. The tower and the clerestory are castellated. The base of the tower is Norman, and the rest of the exterior is in Perpendicular style. In the tower is a clock dating from 1699.

Interior

The interior of the church is in Decorated style. The nave arcades are in five bays. The screens date from about 1500. The octagonal 19th-century font is in black Frosterley marble. At the front of the church is a corporation pew. Three of the windows in the south aisle contain stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, and the rest is by William Wailes or by Wailes and Strang. The northeast chapel contains the monuments of Lady Anne Clifford, and her mother Lady Margaret Clifford who died in 1616. Lady Margaret's monument is free-standing in black marble with an alabaster effigy, and is attributed to Maximilian Colt, the King's Master Carver. Lady Anne's monument was created during her lifetime in about 1655–57 (she died in 1676). It is in black-and-white marble, with no effigy but a reredos with a family tree consisting of shields. Also in the church is a 14th-century female effigy. The two-manual pipe organ was built in 1661 by Robert Preston for Carlisle Cathedral. Together with its original case, it was given to St Lawrence's by the dean of the cathedral in 1683. It stands at the west end of the church under the tower arch. The case contains three turrets, each bearing an achievement of arms on its summit; beneath the cornice are the heads of three putti. There is a ring of six bells, all of which were cast in 1833 by Thomas Mears II of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.

St Lawrence's Church suffered severe flooding in December 2015.

 

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 13/02/2021).
Visit the page: St Lawrence's Church, Appleby for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Appleby-in-Westmorland Boroughgate Churches and Cathedrals Lady Anne Clifford (1590 - 1676) Historic Buildings and Monuments in Appleby-in-Westmorland Grade I Listed
from Geograph (geograph)
The south face of St Lawrence's Church

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
St Lawrence's, Appleby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Lawrence's Church, Appleby-in-Westmorland, England

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St. Lawrence in Appleby

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Memorial to Margaret Countess of Cumberland

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence, Appleby: font

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence, Appleby: font (detail)

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Lawrence's, Appleby

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Lawrence, Appleby, east end

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence, Appleby: tomb of Lady Anne Clifford

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
The tower of the Parish Church of St. Lawrence

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence, Appleby: south chapel

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence, Appleby: south chapel ceiling

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
A curious woodcarving in St Lawrence's church

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence's Church

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Monument to Lady Anne Clifford (1590-1676)

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence, Appleby: path to south door

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
St Lawrence's Church, Appleby-in-Westmorland

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from https://historicengland.org...
Parish Church of St Lawrence - Appleby - List Entry
- "....The Church of St Lawrence was founded by Ranulph de Meschines in the early C12 as part of the ‘new town’ of Appleby. Several C19 sources suggest that the church ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Cumbria - Appleby - St Lawrence CII S 1661

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List grade: 1
List number: 1312067
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY6833220443
Wikipedia: St Lawrence's Chu...

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES