Parish Church of St Lawrence - Appleby - List Entry

  • Description

    "....The Church of St Lawrence was founded by Ranulph de Meschines in the early C12 as part of the ‘new town’ of Appleby. Several C19 sources suggest that the church was burned down or badly damaged during the sacking of the town by the Scots in 1174, and that it was reconstructed by 1178 on the orders of Henry II. During the relative prosperity of the C13 it is thought that the church expanded, and at around the same time a Lady Chapel was established in the south aisle; a second chapel in the north aisle was created in the early C14. In 1388 Appleby was sacked and most of the town destroyed by fire; it is thought that the church suffered significant damage during this raid. It was reconstructed in the C15 when a Perpendicular clerestory was raised over the Early English nave, and an upper stage added to the Norman tower; at the same time the Lady Chapel was also altered and extended. In the later C15 oak parclose screens were added to the chancel and a stall-front to either side. In the early C17 Margaret Countess of Cumberland and mother of Lady Anne Clifford was buried in the chancel; her alabaster tomb is attributed to the Royal sculptor Maximilian Colt. In 1655 the church underwent a significant period of rebuilding/restoration by Lady Anne Clifford: this included work to the north and south chapels...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1312067
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 3 years ago
    Viewed: 221 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES