List number: 1042127
List grade: 2
Keys to the Past HER: N11641
Grid ref: NZ2254088873

Church of St John the Evangelist, Longhirst


The Church of St John the Evangelist in Longhirst was designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and built in 1876. It was commissioned and paid for by the local landowners, the Lawson family of Longhirst Hall, who gave the church to the village. The church is a Grade II listed building. Longhirst was part of the parish of Bothal until 1875, when it became a parish in its own right with the building of the church underway. 

from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church, Longhirst

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St.Johns Church, Longhirst

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Lych gate, St John's Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Primroses in the churchyard, Longhirst

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST - Longhirst - List Entry
- "Parish Church, 1876, by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; red tile roof. Nave with south aisle and north-west tower/porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES