List number: 1044950
List grade: 2
Post code: NE43 7LS
Grid ref: NZ0755661685

Church of St George, Mickley


St George's Church near Mickley in Northumberland was originally built in 1823 as a chapel of ease within the ancient parish of Ovingham. It served the hamlet of High Mickley and adjacent farms.[1] The church was largely rebuilt and extended by J.S. Hicks in 1884-1886 to accommodate the growth in population due to the development of local coal mines by the Mickley Coal Company (established in 1866). Mickley became a parish in its own right in 1867. The church is a Grade II listed building.[2]

from Geograph (geograph)
St George's Church, Mickley Square

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE - Mickley - List Entry
- "Parish church. Originally 1825 but now almost entirely 1886 by J.S. Hicks. Random rubble with ashlar dressings and red tile roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, south chapel, north vestry ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.bmscofe.org.uk/
Bywell, Mickley and Stocksfield Anglican churches
- "...the website of the Anglican churches serving the residents of Broomley, Bywell, Cherryburn, Hedley on the Hill, High Mickley, Mickley Square, Stocksfield and West Mickley.-...There are three church buildings ...

Added by
Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES