MICKLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Ovingham, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11 miles (E. by S.) from Hexham; containing 297 inhabitants. It is situated a little south of the road from Gateshead to Hexham: the village is distant about a mile eastward of Bywell St. Andrew's. A colliery here is entered by a level from the side of a hill. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £155; patron, J. B. Wrightson, Esq. A rentcharge of £197. 14. has been awarded as a commutation for the impropriate tithes. The chapel was erected in 1824, in that part of the chapelry called Hallyards, near the village, by W. B. Wrightson, Esq., who had previously built a schoolroom.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.