Topics > Cumbria > Calderbridge > Church of St Bridget, Calderbridge

Church of St Bridget, Calderbridge


St Bridget's Church in Calderbridge was built between 1840 and 1842, on the site of an earlier chapel. It was designed by Edmund Sharpe of Lancaster and was consecrated on the 24th of June 1844 by Revd John Bird Sumner, the Bishop of Chester. The church was built at the expence of Captain Thomas Irwin of Calder Abbey House. St Bridget's is a Grade II listed building. The parish war memorial is located in the churchyard.

St Bridget's Church is on the north side of the A595 road in the village of Calder Bridge, near Beckermet, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Calder, the archdeaconry of West Cumberland, and the diocese of Carlisle. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.

History

William Sowerby was ordained in 1826 becoming curate to St. Bridgets until about 1837, when he responded to an appeal by Bishop Broughton and travelled to Australia becoming the first Anglican clergyman at Goulburn.

The current St Bridget's church was built between 1840 and 1842 to a design by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe. It was paid for by Thomas Irwin of Calder Abbey. The church was opened for worship in May 1842, and consecrated on 24 June 1844 by Rt Revd John Bird Sumner, Bishop of Chester. Its cost was under £1,900 (equivalent to £180,000 in 2018).

Architecture

The church is constructed in local red sandstone ashlar with a slate roof. Its plan is cruciform, with a west tower, a three-bay nave, long transepts, and a short chancel, with a north vestry, and a south organ loft. The windows are lancets and around the church are buttresses. In the tower are louvred bell-openings, a corbelled parapet and pinnacles. There are clock faces on three sides of the top stage of the tower. The Pre-Raphaelite stained glass, made by Powell's and dated 1879, was designed by H. E. Wooldridge and H. J. Burrow. The memorials in the north transept include one to Thomas Irwin and his wife.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 18/11/2019).
Visit the page: St Bridget's Church, Calder Bridge for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Calderbridge War Memorial, Calderbridge Churches and Cathedrals 1842 Beckermet (St. Bridget) Parish, Historical Account, 1848
from Geograph (geograph)
St Bridget's Church Calder Bridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Beckermet St Bridget's Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Bridget's Church, Calder Bridge, St Bridget Beckermet CP, from the SW

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Bridgets Church, Calderbridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET - Calderbeck - List Entry
- "Church. 1842. By E Sharpe. Ashlar with slate roof and tile ridge. Nave, west tower, long transepts and short chancel with lean-to north vestry and south organ loft. Coped gables ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
War Memorial, Calderbridge
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, Calderbridge
- The war memorial in Calderbridge is located by St Bridget's Church. The memorial is dedicated to 12 local servicemen of St Bridget's Parish who lost their lives in the First ...
from Flickr (flickr)
Sungazing (Church of St. Bridget at Calder Bridge)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Calderbridge Pipe Organ west cumbria

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1086589
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY0418106037
Wikipedia: St Bridget's Chur...

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES