Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Beckermet with Thornhill Civil Parish > Beckermet (St. Bridget) Parish, Historical Account, 1848

Beckermet (St. Bridget) Parish, Historical Account, 1848


BECKERMET (St. Bridget), a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing 630 inhabitants. The village of Great Beckermet lies partly in this parish, and partly in that of Beckermet St. John, 3 miles south from Egremont. The parish is situated on the north bank of the Calder, adjoining the ocean, and contains the sequestered ruins of Calder Abbey, described under Calder-Bridge. Freestone is obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £87; patron and impropriator, H. Gaitskell, Esq. The parochial church stands about half a mile south-west of the village; and a church in the early English style has just been erected at Calder-Bridge, at the expense of Capt. Irwin.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Beckermet with Thornhill Civil Parish Church of St Bridget, Calderbridge Beckermet Calderbridge Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Beckermet
  Co-Curate Page
Beckermet
- Overview About Beckermet Map Street View   Beckermet is a village and civil parish in the English county of Cumbria, located near the coast between Egremont and Seascale. Historically within ...
Church of St Bridget, Calderbridge
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Bridget, Calderbridge
- Overview About St Bridget's Church Map Street View St Bridget's Church in Calderbridge was built between 1840 and 1842, on the site of an earlier chapel. It was designed by ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES