List number: 1025393
List grade: 2
Tyne & Wear HER: 7272
Post code: NE12 8AN
Grid ref: NZ2767969131
Wikipedia: St Bartholomew's ...

Church of St Bartholomew, Longbenton


 

St Bartholomew's Church, Long Benton is the Anglican parish church of Long Benton, Northumberland. It is built in the Gothic Revival Style.

Background

Whilst limited evidence exists of Church activity round Benton from the 7th and 8th centuries, it is from the mid-12th century that the existence of the parish of Long Benton can be assured, as the church can name its rectors from 1150 to the present day. Dr G. W. D. Briggs, in his publication 'St. Bartholomew's Church', states that 'there is a reference to transfer of the advowson by Roger de Merlay dated 1251 and then of the foundation of a chantry in honour of the Virgin Mary by 'Adam of Benton' dated 23 December 1310. This foundation names the church of St Andrew in Benton.' In 1339/1340, the church was transferred to the patronage of Balliol College Oxford which still holds it.

By 1790, the Church had fallen into great disrepair, and had reached a stage where rebuilding was the only remaining option. The architect employed was William Newton, who designed and built the nave and tower over the foundations of the original church. Dr Besly, vicar of the parish from 1830 writes 'the chancel, which was then the responsibility of Balliol College, was left in its original state in consequence of the disinclination of the lessees of the great tithes to undertake the expense of rebuilding it,' and the church was dedicated in honour of Saint Bartholomew and was consecrated by the Bishop of Peterborough, the Right Reverend Dr John Hinchcliffe on 2 November 1791. The Chancel was rebuilt in 1855, with an organ chamber and south aisle being added in 1874. The vestry was added in 1888 and the date of the porch is uncertain.

The new, octagonal Church Hall was built in 1980, replacing an earlier 'Parish Hall' on the other side of Station Road which had been opened in 1925; in 1994, a new Chapel, Parish Office and Library were dedicated by the Bishop of Newcastle. These new facilities have provided a basis for the Church's Parish activities, including the production of publications, such as the Parish magazine 'In Touch'.

Services

The Church still maintains daily Morning and Evening Prayer, with a mid-week Eucharist on a Wednesday; on a Sunday there are three Eucharists, including the main 'Parish Eucharist' at 10.00 am, Matins and a Choral Evensong. The beautiful surroundings and traditional interior have made it an increasingly popular venue for weddings.

Music

The Church Choir continues to attract musicians from a variety of age groups and musical heritage, meeting weekly for rehearsals, and competently singing at Choral Evensong and the Parish Eucharist once a week. The choir maintain a rich musical tradition, performing a mixture of both historical and modern music, ranging from Palestrina to Howells. The choir dress in traditional cassock and surplice.

The original organ was built by Nicholson and Son in 1874, and was rebuilt by J.J. Binns, Fitton & Haley. A description of its faculties can be found on The National Pipe Organ Register. This instrument has been removed and is being replaced by a Copeman Hart digital instrument with sixty one speaking stops built into a four manual console in early 2014.

To mark the centenary of the rebuilding of the Church, a peal of eight bells was installed, which are used before services and weddings.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 18/06/2017).
Visit the page: St Bartholomew's Church, Long Benton for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
St Bartholomew's Church, Longbenton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Bartholomew's Church, Longbenton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW - Longbenton - List Entry
- "Parish church. 1790 rebuilding of medieval church; 1842 repairs; 1873-5 repairs and additions. Sandstone ashlar with plinth; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings; stone spire. Perpendicular style. West tower ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(7272): Longbenton, Station Road, Church of St. Bartholomew
- "Parish church. 1790 rebuilding of medieval church (HER 785); 1842 repairs; 1873-5 repairs and additions. Sandstone ashlar with plinth; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings, stone spire. Perpendicular style ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(785): Longbenton, Church of St. Bartholomew (medieval)
- "The parish of Long Benton stretched northwards from the Tyne to Sandy's Letch. The church was originally isolated, standing between the two principal villages of the parish, Long Benton ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES