Tyne and Wear HER(785): Longbenton, Church of St. Bartholomew (medieval)

  • Description

    "The parish of Long Benton stretched northwards from the Tyne to Sandy's Letch. The church was originally isolated, standing between the two principal villages of the parish, Long Benton and Killingworth, in a square churchyard. It was perhaps built by one of the Merlays, barons of Morpeth, Roger de Merlay being the owner of the advowson in 1251. Though the church was described as ruinous in 1663...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/785
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 244 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES