Botcherby is an area of Carlisle, located to the east of the River Petteril, about a mile east of the city centre.
BOTCHERBY, a township, in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Carlisle, Cumberland ward, union of Carlisle, E. division of Cumberland; containing 125 inhabitants. It lies east of Carlisle.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Historically, Botcherby was a township in the ancient parish of St. Cuthbert. In 1866 it became part of the newly formed civil parish of St. Cuthbert Without (outside of Carlisle), but was made part of Carlisle when the city boundaries were extended in 1912.