Boldron is a village located about 2 miles south-west of Barnard Castle and 2 miles east of Bowes. Historically, Boldron was a towship in the ancient parish of Startforth, within the North Riding of Yorkshire. It became part of County Durham in 1974. The village and surrounding area form Boldron Civil Parish.
BOLDRON, a township, in the parish of Bowes, union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 2 miles (S.W. by S.) from Barnard Castle; containing 169 inhabitants. It lies in the manor of Bowes, and comprises by computation 1340 acres. The road from Brough to Barnard-Castle passes north of the village. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £80.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Note: elsewhere in this publication Boldron is listed as being a township in the parish of Startforth.
Boldron is a village in the Pennines of England, situated close to Barnard Castle. It was historically located in the North Riding of Yorkshire, but along with the rest of the former Startforth Rural District it was transferred to County Durham for administrative and ceremonial purposes on 1 April 1974, under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972.