Startforth Parish, 1848
STARTFORTH (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, ¾ of a mile (W.S.W.) from the town of Barnard-Castle; containing, with the townships of Boldron and Eggleston-Abbey, 782 inhabitants. The township of Startforth is bounded by the river Tees, which separates it from the county of Durham; it comprises 1,070 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, and the rest meadow, with about 30 acres of wood. The surface is undulated, the soil along the river side of a good quality, and the scenery embraces a fine view of Barnard-Castle and its fortress with the hills above the town. The Tees is crossed by a stone bridge of two arches; and there is abridge of one arch leading into the township of Westwick. A shoe-thread mill employs about 300 hands. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the family of Lowther: the great tithes have been commuted for £66. 16., and the vicarial for £112. 5.; the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church is of great antiquity, and was much improved in 1844, when the communion-table, seats, and pulpit were rearranged; the east window is of brilliant stained glass, presented by R. Harvey, Esq. In the churchyard is a monument to the memory of Hannah Latham, who was murdered in 1813.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.