Blencogo, Cumbria


Blencogo is a small farming village in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located just over 3 miles west of Wigton. The Village Hall and children's play park are located at the north-east end of the village. The former New Inn closed in 2012. One of the farms in the village, Blencogo House Farm, has a old barn, which is a listed building. Next to this is Blencogo House, built in the early 19th century, and also a listed building.[1] Blencogo is part of the Civil Parish of Bromfield.

Blencogo is a small farming village near Wigton in Cumbria, England. It is situated on the Solway Plain in the Allerdale Borough Council area, off the B3502 Wigton to Silloth road. The village is a centre for growing osier willow for basketmaking and related crafts.

Etymology

Armstrong, et al. cite Ekwall, who "derives this name from Welsh 'blaen' 'top'...and 'cog' 'cuckoo' to which was later added ON 'haugr' 'hill' ". However, they say that it is more probable that the final element "is the British plural inflexion (Welsh '-au', Cornish '-ow', Breton '-ou')."

So, ' hill of the cuckoo or cuckoos'.('ON' is Old Norse; 'British' is Common Brittonic).

History

Blencogo first appears in literature around 1100 CE when the Lord Waltheof of Allerdale gives the barony of Blencogo to Odard de Logis. Numerous land transfers are made to Holme Cultram Abbey in over the next 150 years. Land transfers and grants for Blencogo also appear in the patent and charter rolls for Edward III (1342), Richard II (1388), Henry IV (1399), Henry VI (1426), Edward IV (1474), and Henry VII (1543).

Famous Residents

  • Jonathan Boucher (1738-1804), born here
Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 24/09/2018).
Visit the page: Blencogo for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Flickr (flickr)
St Cuthbert Well, Blencogo

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Farmhouse Blencogo

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Houses, Blencogo

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Entering Blencogo

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Blencogo Village Hall

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
New Inn, Blencogo

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from https://historicengland.org...
BLENCOGO HOUSE - List Entry
- "House. Early C19. Cement rendered walls with V-jointed quoins and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth, under graduated greenslate roof with rebuilt brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with lower ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from http://www.blencogo.com/
Blencogo Village Hall Community
- "Blencogo is a small farming village on the Solway plain just outside of Wigton. Our community website seeks to involve all those within the parish and further afield. On the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES