Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Battlefield

Battlefield


Battlefield is an area of Newcastle, immediately east and to the north of the Quayside and bounded on the east by Ouse Burn. St Ann's Church, built in 1768, is located by City Road in Battlefield. This replaced a small medieval chapel here, established by John Sergerstane, who in 1334, had the land here granted to him by Robert, the Squire of the Manor of Byker, for an annual payment of forty shillings. The land was annexed to Newcastle in 1549. The chapel is notable for being used as a plague hospital in 1597, and suffered after all the houses in Sandgate were burnt down during the Siege of Newcastle in 1644.

It is said that the name 'Battlefield' derives from the 19th century, when dog fights were held here, near the west end of Byker Bridge. A shop called 'Battlefield Stores' is located on the corner of Garth Heads, which were originally built as Industrial workers' dwellings in 1878, and now student accommodation. There were also 19th century terraced housing in Battlefield, now replaced by modern housing, to the west of Lime Street. There have also been significant developments around the Quayside and in Ouseburn in the 20th and 21st centuries, and those names are now sometimes used for parts of what was traditionally known as Battlefield. 

Newcastle upon Tyne Church of St Ann, City Road Ouseburn City Road Garth Heads, Newcastle
Church of St Ann, City Road
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Ann, City Road
- Overview Map Street View St Ann's Church is located by City Road / Breamish Street in the Battlefield area of Newcastle. The parish church was built 1764-1768 for the Corporation of Newcastle ...
from https://sitelines.newcastle...
Tyne and Wear HER(1421): Byker, Chapel of St. Ann
- "In 1344 Robert of Byker granted to John Segerstane, a hermit, a plot of land in Byker 200 feet square, and a lane 20 feet wide extending from the plot ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
J Liddell, Battlefield, Newcastle, wounded

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://saintannbattlefield....
St Ann’s, Battlefield
- Official Website of the Church. Includes a section on history of the church and predecessor chapel. "...In 1334, Robert the Squire of Byker, granted to John Sergerstane, a hermit, a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Confusion, First Floor Door, Battlefield, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, England.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

  • Neil Morton on Jan. 17, 2022, 6:14 p.m.

    The location of the Battlefield should read "bounded to the east by Ouse Burn"

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES