Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Battlefield > Garth Heads, Newcastle

Garth Heads, Newcastle


Garth Heads is a street, located a short distance off Melbourn Street, in Newcastle, and also the name of the main building on the street. Along the entire north side of the street, and part of Tower Street, is the building known as 'Garth Heads'. The tenement flats for industrial workers were originally built 1869-1870, for the Newcastle upon Tyne Improved Industrial Dwellings Company Ltd (established by James Hall, of Hall Bros Steamship Co.). The building opened in September 1870, and was extended in 1872 and 1878.[1] It is probably the earliest example of philanthropic industrial housing in the city.[2] Today, the building is used for student accomodation. Battlefield Stores are located on the corner of the building on Garth Heads (street) and Jubilee Road. Garth Heads is a Grade II listed building on the National Heritage List for England. The building, on high ground, is a significant feature in a historic setting: immediately in front Keelmen's Hospital (1701), immediately south-west is Sallyport Tower on the medieval Town Wall, and All Saints' Church is nearby. The site of Garths Head had previously had clay pits and there had been a Presbyterian Chapel here in the 18th century.[3,4]

Battlefield 1870 Melbourne Street Historic Buildings and Monuments in Newcastle
from Geograph (geograph)
Industrial Dwellings, Garth Heads

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Garth Heads

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Tower Street, NE1

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://blog.twmuseums.org....
Newcastle Improved Industrial Dwellings
- TWAM Blog, August 6, 2012 . "....Newcastle Improved Industrial Dwellings Ltd was formed by James Hall, philanthropist and businessman, of Hall Bros Steamship Co. A prospectus was issued in 1869 for ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
INDUSTRIAL WORKERS' DWELLINGS - Newcastle - List Entry
- "Industrial workers' dwellings with shop. 1869 and extension dated 1878. By John Johnstone for the Newcastle upon Tyne Improved Industrial Dwellings Co. Ltd., established 1869. Polychrome English bond brick (4 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://twsitelines.info/SM...
Tyne and Wear HER(4136): Newcastle, Garth Heads, Clay Pits
- "Three Clay Pits at Garth Heads are shown but not named on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch/1 mile map series....Evidence for clay extraction was found during ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.twsitelines.inf...
Tyne and Wear HER(14658): Newcastle, Garth Heads, Presbyterian Meeting House
- "In use 1705 until circa 1799."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1242024
List grade: 2
Post code: NE1 2JE
Borough: Newcastle
Grid ref: NZ2553064198

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES