The street is named after Newcastle's earliest baths, built in 1781, at this location. The baths took water from Skinner Burn (now one of the city's 'hidden' streams) and included medicated vapour baths, enclosed cold baths, and an open swimming pool. The water supply was disrupted when a mine shaft was sunk nearby, leading to parts of the baths being closed down in the 1820s. They were demolished by 1860. (source: Sitelines). The most preserved parts of the Town Wall run parallel to Bath Lane, including Herber Tower and Durham Tower.